24 Feb 2017

Meritocracy and Favouritism no longer an option. Nigeria failed me! My story as a fresh University Graduate in Abuja Nigeria!

I remember the first day of my lectures as an undergraduate student in one of the Nigeria Universities in South Eastern Nigeria.

It was buzzing and i met some new undergraduates just like me who had ambitions of becoming accountants, bankers, medical doctors, economist, lecturers and lawyers and even scientists.

The popular word then was 2.1, which is second class upper division. As an undergraduate student of Finance and Banking, it was the raining thing as i had my eyes fixed on working with some of the new generation banks as well as Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). My order of priorities were, Zenith Bank, GTBank, UBA as well as CBN as long as i made second class upper division which is the least critieria coupled with the fact that you needed to be tall and handsome.

Between 2002-2006, i worked hard to earn second class upper division and when i finally graduated, i was awarded BSc Hon, Finance and Banking(Second Class Upper Division) and to cap it all, my GPA was 3.95 making me the best graduating student of my department. What's next? NYSC that is National Youth Servcie Corps. Forme, my checklist were getting ticked off, 2.1 awarded, I am good looking and hopefuly i can make it.

In September 2007, i was posted to NYSC Camp somewhere in Kubwa Abuja and that began a new chapter in my life. I made couple of new friends and even met some of my old school mates from the University. After settling in the camp, i began sniffing around trying to find out how i can join one of the new generation banks and was told the easiest route is to be posted to any of them for mandatory one year service.

Luckily for me, Oceanic Bank came asked all the students who made 2.1 and wished to work with them to queue up and i could not believe my luck, i did and they took my details. So did Zenith Bank and others. after 21 days of orientation, i was posted to Zenith Bank Maitama Abuja and that was how my nightmare started.

I went to Zenith Bank and it was hell. Yes i mean real hell fire on earth. After queueing and standing under the Abuja hot sun for hours, one of the applicants fainted and i was the one who offered first aid and carried her into a room in the bank for her to be attended to, a member of the recruitment team from Zenith Bank came and told us,
"If you are here on recommendation (that is those who were recommended by Senators, Governors and top government officials) please queue up on the right side, those of you who studied abroad, queue next to them, those who had 2.1 were advised to form another queue and the rest were told to leave. This is about 3pm in the afternoon"
I felt i had hope then it was quickly dashed when the 2.1 queue were dismissed and asked to the next day. The next day, i went to Zenith Bank and guess what? Some of the guys who were recommended by top government officials and those who studied abroad  had all been recruited and given appointment letters. Some of them studied courses like Law, Lingusitics, Economics, Buisness Administration and are now working in a bank but myself who read Finance and Banking had no hope.

I met the recruitment team of Zenith Bank and they asked me, "what can you offer us as a marketer?". See me na, poor man's son with no god father. I said i can only offer my brain and hardwork but guess what, they served me with a rejection letter, reasons were because i do not know any top oga i can sell their financial service to in Abuja and that i was told old. Mind you i graduated at 25, wasted one year at home waiting for NYSC. I also went to UBA and after the interview, they asked me, who i knew in Abuja which top people icould sell the financial products of the bank to. I replied
" I do not know anybody in Abuja because i did not grow up here but i can work hard to get accounts for the bank"
And i was served a rejection letter too. Same with Oceanic Bank and that was how i concluded this nation called Nigeria had failed me. I was full of regrets why i wasted 4 years of my life to obtain a BSc while my mates who went into business and those who travelled abroad were making it. I knew Nigeria had failed me again, again, again and no longer an option for me. I was frustrated. My hopes were dashed by meritocracy and favouritism in the Nigeria banking sector. But i did not allow this to pull me down.

I ended upsecuring a spot as as sales man in one office in EMAB Plaza Wuse Abuja and wasted my one year of NYSC there. I had my target which was to further my education and Nigeria was no longer an option for me. I worked hard, borrowed money from my friends and started a small electronics business where i was importing from Dubai and China. Saved up some money, paid school fees and left Nigeria for my Masters degree. Completed my MSc, achieved my dream of working in a bank then heading to study PhD. If i had depended on Nigeria, I would not have achieved my dream!

I am fully aware that what i experienced as a fresh graduate is still being metted out on new graduates walking the streets of Abuja, Lagos and other major cities in Nigeria clutching files loaded with CV and certificates looking for jobs in Nigeria Banks. Please do not be discouarged, keep fighting and believe you can! Nigeria has nothing to offer you and me. Our leaders have failed us!

My Story!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Good-day friends, my name's Antonio Laura from Lund-Sweden, I'm a medical Doctor by profession, 45 years of age. Kindly read my true life testimony, i have a positive intention that this information will help someone reading this article right now to restore back broken marriage and recover lost love relationship within 2 days. After being in relationship with Abeg Erickson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything to get him back to love me, but everything i did was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have have for him, I asked him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my colleague at work friend and she suggested that I would rather contact a love spelling rock that could help me to spell it back, but I am the type of person who never thought love spell portion existed or work, I had no choice but to try it, I emailed the spelling channel and he told me that it was no problem that everything will be fine before three days, that my ex will come back to me before three days, he threw the Love spelling portion into air and surprisingly the second day it was around 6.00AM. My ex love partner called me on my mobile phone, I was so surprised that I answered the Phone call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily. (dr.oduduwaspellcaster@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete